Short version: back in 2007 I set up my blogger account and started blogging. No biggie. Around 2012 Google aquired Blogger and tied my gmail account to my blog. No biggie.
Problem is that I kept using the gmail account (user) and not the blogger account (admin). A year or two ago I wanted to make changes to the blog and found I couldn't since I was using a non-admin account.
I didn't pay much attention to it but it vexxed me. I tried a few times to reset the admin account but the email address I used to set it up doesn't exist anymore.
It took a bit of effort today, but I managed to get access to the account again and made the changes. So, yay! Points for persistance.