Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Post Christmas relaxation

The bulk of the silly season is done, now cruising in the gap before New Years. Christmas was good, got some time earlier on in the month in Perth and had a good time with friends and family over the Christmas season.

Was a good Christmas this year, very happy. And good to have a bit of down time from work.

Monday, November 28, 2016


Last day before going back home for some holiday time with the family. Yay!

Going to be a bit odd to be in our home town but staying in a hotel. Still, get to have time to catch up with everyone. And have time away from work.

Win, win!

Monday, October 31, 2016

All Hallow's Eve

Got to take the kids out trick or treating tonight. Although I'm not a big fan of the holiday (or Christmas either, but that's a seperate issue), it was nice to be able to chaperone the girls so they could have a good time.

Saw lots of other families out and about, with kids of various ages. Commented with a few of the other parents about sugar loaded kids on a school night. This little one at least has been sensible and is in bed ready for school tomorrow.

Thought of a stupid "if we won lotto" idea, to drive around in a van with 'free candy' hand painted on the sides and giving out loads of lollies. The list of reasons why that is stupid is pretty long...

Very glad to not have seen any incidents or any people misbehaving. No doubt they were out there, but at least none came near my flock. That's something to be thankful for.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016


Quickie post, marking the date the brake pads on the 4WD got done. Brand new rears, 95% on the fronts.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Sadest of the sad

A great life has come to an end.


Today we had to have one of our dogs put to sleep. She was 11 years old and had had several medical issues during her life. She was getting old prematurely, she was breaking down and we could see she was struggling.

We could have kept her hobbling along on medications and supplements and what not, but that would have been for our benefit, not hers.

We made the hard decision and had her euthanised by a vet. We had the vet come to our house, where she was with her family and surrounded by love. She slipped away calmly, and we all held her as she took her last breath.

A great life has ended, and now her spirit is free to run over the rainbow. The thunderstorms will trouble you no more.

Good night Blaze, til we meet again.

Saturday, September 10, 2016


My beautiful, awesome wife bought me some drawing supplies for our 4th anniversary. <3

I'm still very time poor, but it is nice to have some good quality pencils and blank paper to draw on. Better than working around lined paper.

And variety! I'd previously just used whatever pencils I had on hand, usually a budget bargain hard writing pencil. Having a suite of different pencils gives a lot more options.

Now the hard part - making the time to use them!

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Sweet score

It's September in Darwin and that means it's nearly cyclone season. That means pre cyclone clean up, when people put old junk out on the verge for the council to take away.

The thing is, not all of it is junk. :)

Between last weekend and this weekend we managed to collect a few hundred dollars worth of stuff. I'd prefer to sell it all so we had a few more dollars for bills and stuff, but there's a reason people put it out on the verge instead of selling it.

Would feel a lot better if I could afford to just buy the stuff my family needs (even second hand) rather than picking through other people's garbage, but at least we were able to pick up a few things we can use.

Maybe one day we'll have a bit of disposable income again.