Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Time to grow up

Today, I am an adult.

There are no real ways in todays society to declare when an individual stops being a child and is considered an adult by the rest of the community.

It used to be that there would be a ceremony or an achievement or even just getting married. But in todays society even getting married does not mean that a person is an adult. But these days, we as a society spend less effort on teaching and raising kids and providing milestones for them to achieve.

Today, I finally got around to selling my LEGO® collection.

It might not sound like much, but it broke my heart to do it. It had been sitting in five or six boxes, packed away since we moved from the old place to this place ... over two years ago. There is a bunch of stuff I wanted to build but never got around to. There was a lot, stuff going back to the 80's and some new sets. Even some catalogues from the 90's. There was even a bunch of bits that were new and still in bags! I don't know how long it had been that I hadn't played with them at the old place either. And it does not seem that I was going to use them anytime soon either.

So I decided it was time to man up and get rid of it. Better that some new young person play with them rather than them sitting in boxes unloved. I sold the lot to a friend for a couple of bucks. I could have gotten more on the open market but I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling over the internet. Like removing a bandaid - pull it off quick rather than drag it out.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I
thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11 They knew it then, it still applies now.

I know I'll regret this at some stage, but it is time to move on. I hope the new youths who receive them play with them and love them as much as I did...

No comments: