Saturday, August 8, 2020

3D print

Well, the 3D printed coins I'd ordered back in … June … finally came in.

At 80c each, they aren't too bad. However, I can't say that I'm happy with the level of detail. I'm assuming that the printer (I used the local library) has their settings set up for maximum number of prints with minimum acceptable level of detail (they do after all charge very little, almost less than the cost of the filament as far as I can tell) so can't really complain.

However, I'm not happy with the stepped look and finish on them. If I had my own printer then I could tweak the settings for maximum resolution and just leave it printing overnight. For larger, less detail-intensive prints then it should be pretty good - but for the small, detailed items I want to make, this isn't what I'm aiming for.

I was able to pick up a bunch of plastic poker chips today dirt cheap, they average out to 10c each if I buy them new as part of a set. With these, at 80c each (more if I paint or decorate them) then they aren't really feasible. I had been hoping to get a master or two printed, then use epoxy resin to cast more from a mould. But with the stepped look that these came out with, I don't see that being viable.

The larger things like the lettering came out ok (mostly), but the stars at the top are very stepped, and the little "1" I put on there is pretty much illegible.

Looks like I'm pinning my hopes on the photosensitive film I've ordered, hoping that works with salt etching aluminium. If that works as advertised, I should be able to get the level of detail I'm after.

Hopefully.

No comments: