Friday, January 15, 2016

Day Zero

Well, I'd had a few different plans for an "unboxing" video of sorts when I had a chance to muck around a bit with my new guitar for the first time, but didn't end up videoing it.

I did have a play and (unsurprisingly) I totally suck at it. Considering that it is the first time I have picked up a guitar and have had no lessons, nobody is surprised by that plot twist.

Pretty sure that the first thing I should focus on is going to be my fingering. I noticed straight off the bat that I tend to contact the next string down and mute it. So I need to really arch my fingers to get the tips in there without touching the other strings.

Although I'm trying to do this on a zero dollar budget, my first expense is going to be new strings. I did manage to tune the guitar, but it started drifting out of tune almost instantly. The strings are old, pretty much the original strings that came with the guitar as far as I know. The guitar used to be my mum's and she didn't get much of a chance to play it.

I can get cheap strings online off eBay no drama, though while I'm learning I should probably spring for good ones so I can train my ear. Or not, the budget is the budget.

Maybe on the weekend I'll get a chance to sit down and do a video. Here's hoping!

No comments: