Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Another big improvement

 Still going on about the bike riding!

So, on the weekend I was able to do some more modifications on the bike. I replaced the tyres (and tubes) which were ... I have no idea how old. At least ten, possibly up to fifteen years old I think. Old and cracked rubber, the sides were breaking and I could see the reinforcement starting to poke through. Definitely on the way out, and the last thing I'd want is a tyre bursting on the way to work. A puncture I could fix, a failed tyre would be impossible. The original tubes seemed ok, so I'll hang on to those as emergency backups.

I also picked up a new (to me, got it from a second hand shop) bike seat post that was longer, so now I have the seat up a lot higher. Now I can actually extend my leg when pedaling! Much less stress on the knees, able to put much more power down and able to use higher gears. Instantly noticeable difference.

My first ride was about 1 hour 10 minutes each way (or so), my old best time was 55 minutes or so, today's ride was 44 minutes (and a few seconds). A ten minute improvement! Not sure how much of that was attributable to the tyres and how much to raising the seat, but it's good to see improvements.

No comments: