Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Render Farming...

It seems that I spend a lot of time gearing up towards projects and never seeing them through to fruition (or abandoning them shortly after commencing).

I think it must be something in my psychology that's broken. The latest project is/was movingbricks.com - it's only been running for like, three days and I'm already feeling that it was a mistake to implement it.

It may be very successful later on down the track, but at the moment, I'm not feeling it.

So the newest project is I'm going to try and put together a render farm (a bunch of computers linked and working together) in order to make a 3D webcomic. As far as I can tell, the only things that I need to do in order to beat the average 3D comic is to a: use custom meshes (make my own models) b: have plenty of detail (hence the need for the render farm) and c: have better lighting. The lighting aspect isn't a drama because it seems that I have a decent eye for lighting, it's just the thousands of dollars that I'd need to spend in order to set up the render farm that are the main inhibiting factor.

Probably why most other people don't do it...

Anyway, that's on the cards for the near future, but I'm not sure if I'll actually go through with it or not. Buying hardware is somewhat expensive, and computers are obsolete almost the moment you get them home so there is very little re-sell value.

I could rent the computers instead of buying them outright (pay thousands across several years rather than several thousand upfront) but for some reason it seems like a bigger expense to me to be paying each week rather than paying once and be done with it.

It'd probably be a lot better in the long run, but I still have the mindset against it.

Maybe my brain just hates me...

No comments: