Thursday, November 22, 2018

NaNo - day twenty two

Yes! Just cracked the 40k mark. :)

As of writing this, I've got 40,053 words down. As noted earlier, Nano is more about quantity than quality, so I'm not going to be advertising this novel too seriously ... or anywhere. It started of as mainly a quest mission but I think I loaded too many targets into my story. The protagonists are seeking 30 items, and at the 4/5's mark they have collected eight.

I think I have more quest than novel. I may keep writing, but at this stage the plan is to stop when I hit 50k. I think there is too much in this story to get it all out in 50k words, but I'm not so invested in it that I am motivated to finish or polish it.

I do like what I did with a spreadsheet to lay out some groundwork, but I can see where I went wrong and didn't lay out enough. Having a blueprint definitely makes it easier to write. But I can see where I went wrong at the start and as a result, my story structure suffered for it.

I totally could re-write and fix it up, but like I said, I'm not that invested in the story (and between you and me, it's not that good). But it is a good opportunity to learn.

No comments: