Monday, February 7, 2022

Got the laptop reconfigured

 I currently have two laptops - one is my shiny new main one which my awesome wife got for me a year or so ago. The other is my previous old one which I've had ... for a long time. I think I had it before I got married, so I've had it for a while. It's an older one with the extended keyboard so it's kinda chunky and the battery on it has gone, so it only runs when it's plugged in.

I figured I'd reconfigure it to extend the life on it, so I swapped out the hdd and installed a Linux OS on it. This makes it a bit faster and helps to run more modern functions on the older hardware. The good news is that the old drive is a 1TB drive which will fit in my new laptop - bonus memory! The new one has one of those teeny tiny M8 memory modules as its main SSD and it's nice and fast - but it's only 120Gb. Okay for average laptop use but I prefer to have more memory. It does have an empty 2.5" bay, so I'll be able to drop in the old 1TB drive and effectively upgrade both laptops.

Nice! Now I just need a reason to use the old laptop. *puts on thinking cap*

No comments: