Sunday, June 5, 2022

Straight edge razor

Nice, finally a non-bicycle post!

So, I've been thinking about getting a straight edge razor for ... at least fifteen if not twenty years. Not because it's "manly" or any of that slop, but it's something I've been thinking about for a long time. I've always been indecisive about it because the list of positives and negatives were about the same length, so it cancelled out.

With the price of my preferred cheap disposables going up, the price balance tipped over to making the straight edge a better option - when I'm not in a rush! Basically, buying double edge razors online in bulk (packs of like 100) and dividing them in half means that each shave would be about 4c or so. As opposed to getting close to a dollar for the decent disposables.

So I bought a cheapy off eBay, which uses the single-use straight edge razors. It's "stainless steel" (we'll see just how stainless $7.99 really is) and I figure it's so much better than a proper one. A good carbon steel shaver is around $300+ but needs stropping, sharpening, constant honing and maintenance and if you nick or roll the edge, it's either a write-off or an expensive repair! Much better to just replace the cutting edge.

Anyway, it arrived this week and today I gave it a go for the first time - very slow and cautious! Only cut myself four times, which I thought was a pretty good effort. Blade is good and sharp, three of the cuts nearly insta-healed, one was a good one that bled plenty and left a mark on my face.

And I can totally sympathise with Chaplin and Hitler going for that style of mo'. Trying to shave that spot under the nose? That's hard!

No comments: