Thursday, June 30, 2022

Aaaandd... first flat tyre

 Got back to the bike after work getting ready to go home and found the front tyre was flat.

   -_-

Rather than pulling the wheel apart straight away, I figured I'd have a go at just pumping some air into it. If it was a small hole with a slow leak, then I might be able to just ride home. Or ride part way, pump some more air in, ride some more, repeat as needed. Fortunately I made it home using this method without needing to pull the wheel apart - which was nice because it was raining, and I don't think the patches will hold if the rubber is wet when applied.

This reinforces my idea that part of the repair kit needs to be a spare tube. Flat tyre? Swap out the tube, pump it up, patch the tube with the hole at home where it's easier and can get a better seal.

I know I've read about loads of riders who totally hate the slime, but I haven't seen too many giving the reasons why. The most common ones I've seen are that it can make a mess if it gets out of the tube (such as when doing larger repairs), it makes a patch not stick when you get a puncture larger than the slime can handle and it gums up the valve so you can't get air in.

The first two are easily solved with the spare tube, the last one may be fixable or may also just be a new tube solution. Either way, at the moment I'll keep using the slime as it seemed to work great on the old bike and see how it goes.

But not planning on going over to tubeless tyres. I prefer a tube that can be easily patched or swapped out.

No comments: