Sunday, September 7, 2008

Frustration ensues

Okay, so here's the skinny:

A while back I bought a laptop. Out of the box it shipped with Vista which I have no reason to use so the first thing I did was burn it to the ground and install XP over the top. No drama there. I used that for many months without missing a single beat.

Then I wanted to remove that copy of XP and put the factory Vista back on there (don't ask why). Acer has a nice little feature called eRecovery (because everything has to have a lower case first letter followed by an upper case second letter nowadays) which basically means that you click some buttons and it restores everything to factory defaults.

At least that's how it's meant to work...

When I installed XP, it overwrote the factory MBR, so that option didn't work any more. A lot of digging around and researching and I eventually found that the Vista (and all the other system stuffs) were sitting on a hidden partition. Made some hacks, got access to the hidden partition and I was able to get the files out in order to re-install Acer's original MBR. Great! Except that when I rebooted, it gave me an error message and refused to work ever since.

So now I said "sod it" and killed the whole damn drive and I'm busy installing Fedora 9.

We'll see how it goes...

No comments: