Sunday, September 7, 2008

Linux is a little beeatch

Okay, I have Fedora 9 up and running on my Acer Extensa 5220. By running I mean that it is mostly working but has a few quirks.

- Wireless is not working. This needs some special linux commands that I have no idea about. I have never used Linux before, so I do not know my way around the kernel, the terminal or any other important bits. About the only thing I do know is that I do not want to be logged in as root and be accessing the web. So I am not a complete noob, just 90%.

- The keyboard is not fully working. I cannot use the apostrophe key (that is why there are no contractions in this post) or the bunny ears.

- The touchpad is not working properly. I can use it as a pointer, but tapping it will not perform a click.

On the plus side, the sound is working, I was able to import all my bookmarks (but not my passwords which is a little frustrating) and it did not give me any headaches on installation.

On the negative side, I am still muddling my way through without being able to really do anything, the computer beeps at me on occasion for no apparent reason and the hard drive keeps working. I think that itÅ› downloading stuff in the background or running tests or something.

Not sure about how this experiment will turn out...

No comments: