Sunday, September 30, 2007

Arr! I be an audio pirate!

Yesterday, I borrowed a really sweet DJ turntable with a brand new needle. Not that I'm a Dj, what I want it for is to transfer all of my mums old phonographs over to digital. She doesn't have that many (since we had to move so many times) but most of them are twenty years old, and some almost thirty.

They have fairly high sentimental value but have been sitting in cupboards and various other places since we haven't had any players suitable for them for a long, long time.

Since it's a long weekend here, I figured that I'd spend the time transferring all this old data. The advantage of it is that there is so much great, free software available for editing music that I can remove most of the clicks and pops, clean out the noise and hums and generally make it sound really good. not 'digitally remastered' good, but better than how they sound directly off an LP.

I wonder how many people who read this need to go look up what a "phonograph" is...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly know what a "phonograph" is. In fact, I converted a bunch of old records into digital format for my parents a few years back. The process ended when my mother's dog chewed through the turntable's power cord. Haven't bothered to get a turntable since.

-TwoBit

Anonymous said...

who cares.