Thursday, August 2, 2007

Google's inverse Turing Test

I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone...

Short version: I was running some searches on everyone's favorite search engine: Google. In this instance, I was interested in the less popular sites. So naturally, I went straight to option 10 on the search page results, then went to go to number 20.

Seems a little weird, but that's what I was doing - avoiding all the first few responses that everyone else follows.

What did I find?

Google told me "your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spy ware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now".

WTF?

It took a bit of haranguing and code-schuking to get the results I wanted, but the process was most annoying: an inverse Turing Test.

Here I was: a human trying to convince a computer program that I was not a computer program!

*sigh*

No comments: