Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Another day, still looking for a host...

Americans are so spoilt for webstuffs and they don't even realize it.

So far, I have spent three days looking for a decent Australian host for a basic but decent website. What I'm looking for is 100Mb+ of storage (not that I'm currently actually using more than about 46Mb), at least 5Gb per month of bandwidth and that I can pay by some method other than a credit card.

Dosen't sound that hard, does it?

A quick look at American hosting packages that are available and there are several (reputable) hosts with plans such as 1Gb storage, 300Gb bandwidth, domain included for under USD$50.

Around here, I can get a .au domain for around $30 to $70 (depending on registrar), 10Mb of storage and 500Mb of bandwidth for $40 per month. Wow! Such a fantastic deal, why wouldn't I be jumping at it.

Enetica have so far seemed to be the best of the Australian hosts available, with a basic plan with 250Mb storage, 10Gb p/month bandwidth, domain included in price and $10 per month. Plus php / MySql options available. And as a bonus, snail mail payments by cheque are accepted.

Seems good, right?

Five emails (two through their website's feedback form, one to supprt@ and two to sales@) and so far, zero responses.

I guess that they don't want my money after all...

The next best that I've found (actually, slightly better) is Jumba, which I've heard good things about from independent sources. Their basic plan(s) are 250Mb storage, 5Gb bandwidth and .au domains available. Sent them an email, hopefully should get an answer tomorrow from them.

Okay, I'm getting hungry, so I'm off to eat dinner.

Wish me well!

(Oh, does anyone know of a good place to get business cards printed?)

No comments: